Monday, October 10, 2011

Journal 2 – NETS-T # 3 Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock. Learning and Leading With Technology, 37(8), 12-14. McClintock Miller, S. (2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Learning and Leading With Technology, 37(8), 14-17. http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-june-july-2010.aspx

“Join the Flock” – Hadley Ferguson

SUMMARY: Hadley Ferguson does an awesome job introducing Twitter and explaining the basic functions that it has to offer users. I found the article interesting because before our technology class I had never had a Twitter account. I didn’t realize that it is actually a tool that is helpful for educators both in and out of the classroom. The term “PLN” (professional learning network) is a term that I had never heard of before reading this article. It makes sense that people from around the world can come together and share information for professional development as well as common interests. The thing I like about Twitter is that you can actively follow users but you don’t have to join in on the conversation if you choose not to. Twitter allows users to be as active/non-active as they choose to be. I can clearly see how Twitter would be useful for professional development in any field of expertise. Twitter is also a great tool to incorporate into the classroom so students can follow issues/topics relevant to class as well as share knowledge with other classmates. I hope to build on my Twitter experience.

QUESTION 1: How can Twitter be used for professional development?  

ANSWER: Twitter is a wonderful way for anyone to gain professional development. For starters conducting a list to relevant key terms (associated with your profession) will help in your quest to add other twitter users. Once you find common interests with other users you can read what help people around the world (in the desired profession). Since people have different ideas and knowledge, Twitter allows all of this information to come together and you may take/absorb what you wish. I as well can contribute to my PLN by adding articles/ideas that I find helpful and that others may benefit from.

“Enhance your Twitter Experience” - Shannon McClintock Miller

SUMMARY: Shannon McClintock Miller gives wonderful tips to help Twitter users make their tweeting experience much more convenient. Since I have never been familiar with Twitter I was amazed by the different apps that are offered to help enhance your experience. Before taking this class I thought Twitter was merely for people wanting to follow celebrities. I never realized that it was actually a place where people come together for professional development. Having these apps that make the tweeting experience easier such as TweetDeck is a great idea to help users divide up their interests. These articles have really motivated me to becoming more active with Twitter. I plan on researching the resources a bit more and see if I can apply these features in my Twitter experience. I was also thankful that Shannon included the Twitter terminology! That alone made me more aware of the lingo associated with Twitter.  

QUESTION 2: How can I incorporate Twitter into my educational curriculum?  

ANSWER: Depending on the age of my students I would need to assess if they were mature enough to use this technological tool. If I thought my students could benefit from using Twitter I would need to also ask for parent permission and do my best to encourage parents to be involved with twitter as well. I could create a unique hashtag associated with our class that would allow parents to follow what we do throughout the day or on a weekly basis. Students could be involved by searching for relevant topics and tweeting them to our special hashtag. I feel students would enjoy the Twitter experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment