Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Technology Self-Assessment: School 2.0

Here are my results!
After taking the technology self assessment I was surprised with my results. I think I scored low in a lot of areas because it was hard for me to determine what I do with my classroom since I am not yet an educator. I feel I always stay updated with technology and I understand the importance of incorporating it into education. I chose to explore the NETS-Ts number 1: Facilitate and inspire students learning and creativity. I chose this area because it is the overall concept every educator needs to look at. Creativity in our students is a necessity. I chose to watch the 20 minute inspirational video by Ken Robins. The biggest statement that stood out to me is that most teachers live in their heads and mostly to one side. In our everyday education it is hard to back away from academic ability. If teachers could look at creativity as a whole and allow children to be good at different things besides math and science children will thrive.  Ken says that creativity should be equal to literacy. We don't have any idea what the future will hold for these children. By adults people are frightful of being wrong... so they are not to their fullest creative potential. It is wrong for teachers to make students believe what they value (dance, music, art, etc...) is wrong based off of academic success. This video was highly inspirational as was the technology self assessment. I plan on keeping the link to this site and retake the test when I am an educator. I feel that my answers will hold more value and then I could accurately assess myself. I hope to be an inspirational educator that allows my students to express themselves creatively. I want to value each of my students for what they can do, not for what they can't. We need to value the gift of the human imagination. We need to help our students flourish their imagination.

This assignment meets NETS 5: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment